So I just got an email from Joe about the Honduras trip, and I am sooo freakin excited!! For those of you who don't know, I, as well as 20 some people from my church in Grove will be traveling to Honduras over Spring Break on a mission trip. However, I am slightly disturbed because it almost seems like a vacation, with air conditioning, running water, normal food... tears.
I went to the island of Cartisol in Mexico this past year and I must say that it was the most fun, eye-opening, life-changing experience ever!! The best part was the lack of hygiene. By this I mean, no showers for 3 days, sweat, salt water, shrimp guts, dirt, humidity..I couldn't ask for anything more ideal. There is nothing more humbling than standing over a large hole trying to go to the bathroom, or running my finger across my skin and viewing an abundance of salt from the lack of running water, or having a very very VERY drunk mexican fisherman hold your hand during prayer, or sleeping on a table, or seeing pokey cactus as a fence (very welcoming let me tell you),....or even more so, teaching someone what a toothbrush or soap is, or handing a little girl a teddy bear, or giving the 80 year old man a Jolly Rancher Sucker, or participating/leading a crayon fight with what seemed like a thousand little boys, or giving someone their first Bible, or laying my hands on the feet of a crippled woman in prayer, or worshipping together as one body, one church, and one family. Can you tell that I had a good time?? haha.
Anyhoot, that was a totally amazing trip. God protected us in such incredible ways. For instance, there were twelve women/girls and one male, Joe, our leader. He took on quite a task taking all of us. We were in an area where women have no rights, and no life, besides acting as almost slaves to their "husbands," who return home from shrimp-fishing drunk beyond comprehension and using their authority to use and abuse their wives, children, families. The women are not allowed to leave their houses! (well if you want to call them houses; tar, cardboard, some plywood. The men become sooo drunk that you will often see them with cactus thorns in their faces and they won't even recognize it?! To summarize, there is no form of government on the island, the only income is through shrimp fishing, alcohol, or illegal drugs. We slept in the church with the "windows open," (there was a screen) with no physical protection or anything!?! What is funny is that I didn't EVER feel as though I was in danger. I felt soooo safe, when I should have been quite the opposite since the machete seems to almost be a clothing accessory among the people. It truly was a miracle. I miss it soooooo much!!! I was only there for a short time, but you could see the desperation for love and care within the souls of the people. They were just longing for a peace, a peace that was so incomprehensible to them. This is horrible to even think, but by just viewing this area, one would think that it is hopeless, but while I was there and even now, I know that something totally amazing is going to occur. Already, the people miraculously survived the hurricane, and depended on the church for shelter, but soon they will all realize that there is a God who is an unbelievable refuge/shelter. When the building falls, He still stands firm. He is constant. When I fall, He is there telling me that He still loves me regardless of who I am, what I do, say, or want. He's a pretty cool kid! ha.
Well, now that I have completely shifted from my original subject, I believe I have done a pretty good job procrastinating from my homework for tonight. yep. So, I hope that everyone has had a superb week! This Saturday is MOSO's first home football game, so it should be a fun weekend. I survived my first college test today! I was proud, but then I remembered that I still have 3 exams coming up next week, so my pride deteriorated pretty quickly. ha. Anyhoot, I love you all and I'll "say a lil prayer for you!"
-Heidi Lou

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home