As I mentioned in my last entry, I had assumed that the care provided at the Community Clinic would be physical, emotional, and spiritual. However, the latter left me in a state of confusion. As I entered the clinic, I noticed crosses on the walls in the entrace and different scriptures in old and tarnished picture frames. After these observations, my senses naturally focused on the attitudes of the people and their spirits. I expected a ministry.
At that point a began to distinguish between volunteerism and servant hood. What did I come to provide?
Volunteerism seems to be something that is provided in to order to benefit a person or group of people in their physical welfare, while servant hood, seems to be an act not done for a good feeling, but for the betterment of one's self and the person or persons being served.
Honestly, I struggled between these two characters. I realized that I found it difficult to do both simultaneously. Sincerity was pure only when one or the other was exhibited. Now that I have been there numerous times and have evaluated the other personel and even more so, myself, it has become evident that this is a secular organization. I've wondered if it originated as a religious organization and if so, what brought forth a transition.
Volunteerism seems to be something that is provided in to order to benefit a person or group of people in their physical welfare, while servant hood, seems to be an act not done for a good feeling, but for the betterment of one's self and the person or persons being served.
Honestly, I struggled between these two characters. I realized that I found it difficult to do both simultaneously. Sincerity was pure only when one or the other was exhibited. Now that I have been there numerous times and have evaluated the other personel and even more so, myself, it has become evident that this is a secular organization. I've wondered if it originated as a religious organization and if so, what brought forth a transition.
The dental clinic occurs every two weeks, so I hope to return next week, prepared for another eye-opening experience. This has all been bittersweet. Servant hood is bittersweet; it requires selflessness and or the giving of one's self. It requires sacrifice and the ability to look beyond the superficialities of this world. It requires EVERY part of you.
This is in fact, SERVICE Learning......Service to a community.
Labels: Week 2

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home