To my Dairy...

Thursday, February 22, 2007

So because there is such a specific schedule for the dental section of the Joplin Community Clinic, I was just able to get in there again yesterday afternoon from 12:30 to 3:00. I had JUST finished a mircobiology essay-style exam, so honestly, my brain was completely fried. As I went in, I prayed that I would have a smile on my face and some joy-filled energy to help me persevere throughout the afternoon. There was a different physician this week, obviously, since it is done by volunteer dentists. He was very energetic and didn't seem to be burdened by routine like many of the others. He seemed to actually enjoy being there which is a plus for the other volunteers as well as the people IN the dental chairs waiting their turn to have teeth extracted.

We did six adults, each with different teeth extractions. The dentist made an effort to always make them comfortable and minimize their distress. He actually learned their names and got to know them personally, even in such a short amount of time. This attitude was sooooooo much easier to be around in comparison to my last visit at the clinic. It had really disturbed me.... the lack of relationship. In between paitients, I sterilized the rooms, instruments, and prepared the area for the next procedure. I might be a nerd, but I found it interesting to be able to apply my knowledge from microbiology!! Cheesy...I know. ; )

The dentist also made an effort to make me feel comfortable and was easy to talk to. He was happy to answer and explain my thoughts/questions. He gave me tips for performing different procedures. He, his father, and his brother were all practicing dentists, which I found interesting. I truly appreciated the attention he gave me.

Now, he was much more personable with the adult patients than the last dentist I had worked with, but he learned their names, and their problem, and then just listened to them. So there was still a great superficiality about the clinic. However, my favorite part of the afternoon - our last four patients were kids: 2 boys and 2 girls, all from the same family. They were ranging in age from 4-12, and were pretty nervous about being there. Riley, the youngest, timidly tried to climb in the chair, and the physician, ran over and swooped her up, and landed her in the seat. He asked her how many teeth she thought she had and she guessed 10. Hehe. He asked her to count how many, along with him, in her head, and see if she was right.

She had 20. He was soooo energetic! He made their anxiety disappear and therefore, made their trip to the "scary place," quite the opposite of what they expected.

THIS, my friends, is what I want to do.
I want to change the perspective.
I want to change the landscape.
I want to do the unexpected.
I want to care.
PERIOD.
My experience yesterday was extremely refreshing and encouraging. No more doubts. I was reminded, in time, of my purpose.......
Especially, after SURVIVING my microbiology exam. My smile was BACK.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home