So I wanted to write a little bit about something that happened this week, dealing with the second place that I am volunteering. I mentioned in the previous post that I have been blessed with the opportunity of helping with the youth ministry at my local church.
MIDDLE SCHOOL.
DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!
Some of you will possibly understand the reason why I write with this particular attitude. I returned this past Wedsnesday before service started and decided to attend the "adult service," in the sanctuary, and then go back to the youth ministry after it was over. So..... this is what I did. I must admit, after I had prayed for these kids that I had met the week before, I had become slightly discouraged, thinking, "how in the world are these kids, and girls in particular, going to change?! How will MY being there catalyze it? What can I say to them that doesn't make it seem like they've got another mom?" When I went to bed that night, I had to repent. I felt guilty that I deserted them.... because of me. This Sunday night the youth and college-age services were combined, and this group of girls astonished me. I stood there watching their every move, not critically, but just almost in tears that they were so desperate for attention. This sounds ridiculous, but I wanted them to think that I, was cool, that THEY could trust me, that they could be REAL with me. So I've meditated on the words of Helen Keller:"I am only one; but still I am some one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."
Talk about piercing the heart with WORDS!!!Interestingly enough, this revelation was not the one thing I would consider. My best friend and I were talking about how at college, it seems as though I have an infinite number of best friends...that there is no differentiation. He said, "Heidi, if you love on people so much that they come repeatedly to you with their problems, how will they ever go to Jesus?"
I can honestly say that I teared up when reading this statement. It answered everything. I COULDN'T and shouldn't be everyone's mom. I can't solve all the problems of this world. I can't stand in the way of Jesus, if HE is the whole reason why I am there.
However.....
I can honestly say that I teared up when reading this statement. It answered everything. I COULDN'T and shouldn't be everyone's mom. I can't solve all the problems of this world. I can't stand in the way of Jesus, if HE is the whole reason why I am there.
However.....
All things are possible. "God can do all things." Mark 10:27
Thus, there WILL be a day where I will see this group of girls as women. I will see them and not be saddened by their being lost. I will smile and be proud of how they have changed and learned. And maybe.....just maybe, I might be a part of that. If not, at least I can say that I was there at the beginning and not only that....
I pointed them in the right direction.
I pointed them in the right direction.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home