To my Dairy...

Monday, March 19, 2007

WEEK SIX
So it's time for me to catch up a little bit. The week before spring break I went to to community clinic and actually had a super good time that afternoon. Again, I showed up in my Purple People Eater Scrubs, and was hoping to be put to work. Upon my arrival, Kathy was bustling about.... like always, and we waited for the physician-of-the-day to arrive. Kathy had told the doctor that the clinic started 30 minutes later than the actual time; however, this was not realized until he arrived. I really enjoyed that week's clinic. The physician was very sarcastic, so of course, I had a field day! He also allowed me to kind of stand over his shoulder and ask any questions. I felt as though I was kind of a pest but he was more than happy to verbally take me through each step of the process or treatment he was providing that day. He also let me assist in a few extractions. This, in summary, entails, me.... sitting and sucking blood and keeping the patient in control. LOVELY! I know that this is sooooo appealing. Anyhoot, I had a super wonderful time!
THEN.....
Over spring break, I decided to come up to Joplin with aspirations of volunteering at the dental clinic on Wednesday. I showed up, again, in my purple scrubs, and ironically pulled in the parking lot at the same time as Kathy. She ran over and shockingly asked why I was there. Unfortunately, I didn't have a schedule with me at home and there wasn't a clinic that day. However, she was more than happy to give me some things to do. I WAS SO HAPPY! This woman NEVER asks for help! The clinic the previous night had gone late, so all the remnants of it were still laying about the rooms: blood, gauze, instruments, etc. So I spent approximately 2 hours cleaning everything and sanitizing instruments. Then she had me label and stuff envelopes. I was really glad that I could be helpful in that way.
You know, I think that it is quite peculiar that since the VERY first day I went to the clinic in my high heels, there has not been a overwhelming business about the community clinic. I would think that they would be flooded with people all the time. I also noticed that on the volunteer monthly newsletter, the author had incorporated scripture and Christian clip art. I guess that answered my questions!
"Da da da That's all folks!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home