To my Dairy...

Monday, April 02, 2007

WELCOME BACK!! So throughout this week, the dental section at the community clinic was closed, but I will be back and KICKIN' next week! So instead, I would like to share a little bit more about my kids on Wednesday night at youth. I, along with my friends, Toderick and Terrance, are the peer leaders/mentors of this group of junior high students.

IN SUMMARY,

LET'S just say that the Lord is really going to have a give me a patient heart when I have my own kids this age!! ;)

We had 12 kids, but it seemed that there were 30 in the room. There is NO sense of respect of authority and a greater lack of respect for one another. One test of the night was brought forth by a 7th grader named Zach. He is possibly one of the most insecure people I have met, yet verbally has NO humility. I cannot even illiterate how much I thought that child, yes child, needed to be spanked (according to my household), and disciplined, by social definition. What is interesting about him is that he would take scripture out of context (which other kids his age know no difference), and use it to support his statements and personality. He has truly been on my heart and in my prayers, and honestly, I've probably been praying for myself just as much! HA! I was praying throughout the time of our meeting that I would be careful with my expressions, words, and "speak the truth in love." Maybe my crazy motherly instinct was kickin' in, but I can understand how it might be easier to treat a female my age with disrespect rather than a male. BUT HOLY COW! These people had no fear. In my opinion Toderick and Terrance are two big and bold guys - they are intimidating because they are "real." "We (they) don't play games," as they both said that night. Honestly, I have been praying for these kids to be broken spiritually, and realize that their substance comes not from their ability to be popular or attractive or the center of attention. I pray that a sense of reverence and respect will come forth. I thought about how I, a much older person, wanted theses kids to think I am cool but yet still incorporate the personna of a mentor and disciplinarian.

I thought this type of volunteering is very different than any other service project. I find it so odd, that what happens each time I'm with these students is implanted on my heart. It's almost like a heavy weight, that I am having to realize I CANNOT release. Only God. I just pray that I am a vessel of love, comfort, and justice. I can't change the world, but there is one that can. It reminds me of the line from Passion of the Christ where Jesus is carrying the cross through the streets, stumbles, and falls in humility, and Mary comes to His side: "See Mother, I can make all things new."

"...... I can make all things new."

"If any man be in Christ, he is a new creature; old things have passed away, and behold, all things have become new."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home