To my Dairy...

Friday, November 11, 2005

"I want to be beautiful.
Make you stand in awe.
Look inside my heart,
and be amazed.
I want to hear you say
who I am is quite enough;
Just want to be worthy of love
and beautiful.
I was so unique
now i feel skin deep.
Got all the makeup
to cover it all.
Cryin myself to sleep,
cuz i cannot keep their attention
Thought i could be strong,
but it's killing me.
Does someone hear my cry?
I'm dyin for new life.
Sometimes I wish I was someone
other than me.
Fighting to make the mirror happy.
Trying to find
whatever is missing,
won't you help me back
to glory."
This is a song by Bethany Dillon. It is one of my favorites! This is what was goin through my head throughout the entire discussion on wednesday. I know that this sounds 100% arrogant, however, I do find the discussion of the physical attributes of beauty to be quite irrevelant within the realms of life. Humanity is shallow in this aspect. We judge ever so often by appearance rather than one's intentions, desires, or heart. Dillon, I believe, recognizes the shallow characteristics humanity incorporates, but offers us a challenge: to look inside our souls, choose who we want to be, what feelings/thoughts/emotions we want to evoke, and AIM to praise these attributes when describing beauty.
As I said in discussion; the term "beautiful," is not one to be thrown about in everyday chit chat. "Skin deep beauty" is petty, and I find it frustrating that we even associate the terms "beautiful" and "beauty" together.
I have come to realize as well how one's self image must/is determined by the individual before his or her peers. We discussed the order in which it is developed. I truly believe that it is ALWAYS constructed primarily by the person. Yes, the world has a major influence, but I view the world as being inconsistent, independable, dynamic, and extreme. Don't we all long for acceptance/love? I refer to C.S. Lewis' "The Inner Ring." The ambition of being "within" the ring is continuous. The key to ending this cycle is grasping humility. Lewis implies that without humility one will never be content. Life without it will be all effort with no result.
In conclusion, we discussed the comparison between "body image" and "self image."
"Beauty" and "beautiful" have a similar battle. All of these terms are often considered synonomous. If, when, and how will humanity attain victory in this battle? Will the quest ever end?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home